Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

37 days until Africa

So I have to admit, there was one thing that was really scaring me about my trip to Africa. It isn't the flight, although I'm not looking forward to it, I'm guessing it will give me lots of "Rants" on this blog. It isn't the food, since I have no idea what I will be eating. It isn't the lodging, since I only have a vague idea of where I am staying. It isn't the animals, no I'm not afraid that I will be eaten by a lion, again, its not that you need to be fast, just faster than 1 person and I'm not above tripping, pushing or flavoring my fellow missionaries. No, none of this scares me, ok, maybe the bugs since I found out there are scorpions, but no, still not it. I've worried about it since the day I decided to go, and now as the trip gets closer, it was all that was on my mind. It's an irrational fear, but aren't most fears? How do you put a fear out of your mind? I guess the only way to do it is to research your fear, educate yourself, and the fear will hopefully be proven wrong. I decided to do that, so I emailed my friend who is in Africa now, here is her response:

You will be working about 45 minutes or so from Shakwaru (the farm where you will stay). You drive through a regular little town with grocery stores and you will have all the access to Coke that you're addicted body will need! You'll just want to exchange some money at the airport so you have cash.

I can now sleep easy, all is right in the world!

1 comment:

CJH said...

If I wake up in the middle of the night and you are hovering over me with a jar of Lawry's, I'm going to tell Marcy! "season my fellow missionaries" - that's just cold.