Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh how they have fallen.

The Iowa State Fair is quickly approaching, and the line-up for the stages is set. If you've never been to a state fair, the musical line-up usually involves a few big names, normally they are country singers, maybe a medium pop star, some old school rock bands and a few surprises. The last several years, the Iowa State Fair has brought in some very good Christian bands, this year being Steven Curtis Chapman and one of my favorites, Jeremy Camp. I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Camp several years ago, and though our meeting was brief, he seemed like a cool guy. He shares his story during concerts and his life has been hard, to say the least. He is young mind you, but has all ready lost a wife to cancer, I think. He has songs about her, which I have no idea how he can keep it together when he sings them. If you listen to the words, it's heart breaking. Anyway, this years line-up is no different with the likes of Brooks and Dunn, Big and Rich and Kelly Clarkson as the big names. The old school stuff is Peter Frampton, Journey and Bret Michaels (from Poison). Although I'd love to see Framton and maybe even Michaels, since I'm a Poison fan, the ticket costs prohibit me from going to all of them. Not only do you have to buy the concert tickets, but you have to buy a ticket to the fair, even though I won't be going around the fair. That would be my only complaint on the whole concert thing at the fair. At least after 5pm, you can get in cheaper, but still. This year, I saw what I consider the surprise, Coolio. Some of you might remember Gangsters Paradise, which was a really good song, but some of you may only remember Al Yankovics Amish Paradise, which was hilarious, and still more of you may think, "Who the hell is Coolio?" The sad part is, Coolio will be performing on a free stage, so the career must be winding down, because I can't believe it's ramping back up with a free appearance at the Iowa State Fair. It would be fun to see all of the gang banger wannabe's in the audience. Come on, this is Iowa, how badass can you be. I bet you'll see more underwear from bangers pants falling down than you would in a whole underwear department at Walmart. Maybe I'll stay away.

1 comment:

CJH said...

What's next? Night Ranger? Oh wait....