Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, May 24, 2009

More lessons learned

Yesterday was a long busy day, that I am paying for today. I'm resting in bed with a back ache like I've never had before. Perhaps my workload for Saturday was a bit ambitious. I did get most of the front yard done and most of the back. Today is garden day, but I'll get to that when I can stand up. I learned that if your neighbor is having a garage sale, and you have your garage door open, you are price tags away from having a garage sale yourself. Everybody slowed down and looked into my garage. I remember when my street had a street garage sale a few years back. Everyone that wanted too, could sell their stuff and we just had one add in the paper. That is all fine and dandy. We were selling our crap as well, so we got all set up the night before and just before the sale was to start, I was heading for the car to get as far away from the house as I could. As the garage door was opening, people were ducking under the partially open door to get in to look at my crap. That concerns me. What if I wasn't having a garage sale? The door isn't up yet, so they had to make the choice that they were coming in my garage as soon as it opened, no matter what. Lets just say I ran from there as fast as I could.
I learned that 2 bags of rock, as light as they may have seemed when you first picked them up, become very heavy while standing in line to pay. Especially if you are stuck behind a guy who wants to make his purchase as confusion as possible, asking Home Depot of they can please change their policy, just for him, just for today. Dude, buy your shit and move on, my miscalculation on my strength is now causing me pain, but I'm to proud to put these bags down on the ground, thus admitting defeat.
I must look like somebody that frequents Menards, because the lady keep talking to me like we were best buddies and saying things like, "You don't usually pay with a check." Well, no I don't, but there is no way you could possible remember that, considering I visit your store 2 or 3 times a year. Unless you are Rainman, definitely don't pay with checks. Pay with cash, definitely pay with cash, slow in the express lane, yea.
I found out that a quick stop at Homemakers furniture turns into a several hour tour as we run into people Marcy knows. This isn't unusual, she seems to know somebody, every where we go. The salesman we worked with is the dad of a friend of ours. He is new there, normally works real estate and you know how that is working for everyone. I was glad we were able to get him some commission. If you live in Des Moines and are looking to buy furniture, let me know and I'll toss you his name, he could use the help. Then on the way out of the store, we ran into a girl that Marcy went to school with, so they were able to catch up a little bit. I guess I did run into a guy I worked with a few years back, so maybe we are even.
I learned that Bed, Bath and Beyond has a bunch of shit you don't need, but REALLY want. There are so many "helpful" appliances that I would love to own. Oh to win the lottery.
Well I off to limp my old ass out to the yard and try to get some work done. I hope my next post isn't from the hospital. I do have my own parking place there now.

No comments: