Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Soccer, sort of.

Makiah is on a soccer team, and it is the hardest thing for me to watch. I think I might prefer to watch back to back chick flicks over the painful display that is a U7 soccer game. I see them at practice, going where the coach says and doing what he asks. Then, I go to the games and it's like they just stepped on the field for the first time. The ball is always on the opposite side of the field as all of our players. Someone brought a dog tonight, I'm pretty sure they were from the opposing team (Coincidence? I think not). Makiah spent most of the 3rd quarter looking at the dog, oblivious to the ass kicking his team mates were taking, a mere 10 feet behind him. At this level, they don't keep score, and it's a good thing. I hear kids talk about scores of games, but usually everyone at our games gives up trying to keep track of the score, our side because it is depressing, their side because the first graders can't count that high. The main goal is for them to have fun and learn the game, but I'm not sure they are learning anything. It doesn't help that most of the practices have been rained out and several of the games as well, but still. Tonight it looked like all of the kids, except for a few, had molasses in their shoes, shorts and colon. I don't know that I have ever seen them so slow. I think for the next game, I'll bring a dog, but I'm bringing a Pit Bull. That ought to get them moving.

No comments: