Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Sunday, April 26, 2009

How stupid are we?

I got home around 11:30pm last night, just in time to see a commercial that wasn't all that good, but the disclaimer was scary. The commercial was for a nut company, I think it was Diamond nuts and it started with a guy falling through the air with a stewardess falling next to him holding onto the drink cart. I don't remember what they said, but then it flashed back to a few minutes earlier and the guy is getting up from his seat in the airplane to go to the bathroom. Instead of opening the bathroom door, he opens the door to the outside and falls out. The suction from the air pressure lost in the cabin, pulled the stewardess out, along with the drink cart. The narrator talks about the person being hungry and how he made a poor decision, but if he had eaten the nuts, he wouldn't have. All of that is fine and dandy, the funny part was the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen. It said that you shouldn't ever open airplane doors while the plane is in the air. Really? I need that disclaimer? I guess they do have all kinds of warnings on all kinds of products that you wouldn't think you would need to be told. They do have warnings on hemorrhoid cream tubes that says not to put it in your eyes or mouth, which says to me that someone did it. I'm sure the person who put the cream in the wrong hole, claimed that the tube didn't say NOT to put it in there, so the figured it was ok. I'm sure the hemorrhoid cream company paid a huge sum of money to this person to get their eye or mouth back to normal. It just reminds me of the McDonalds hot coffee issue, that I'm sure you all remember. I don't remember all of the details, and perhaps the coffee was hotter than it needed to be, but I just feel we need to take more responsibility for our actions. If you don't want your crotch burnt, don't put hot things there, that is why they invented cup holders.

No comments: