Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Friday, April 3, 2009

The ride continues

So when you think you've had a bad week, always remember Marcy's last couple of weeks and you will not feel so bad. For those of you I haven't spoken to, all of her pain, going back to March 13th, was a ruptured appendix. You may be saying to yourself, "I thought you could die from that?" You would be right, and exactly how close she was to that I don't know, but I don't think I have ever seen someone in so much pain. The mass they saw on the ultrasound, turned out to be a big infection that then damaged her colon, which part was removed yesterday along with a fallopian tube and an ovary. We are still not sure why the doctor back on the 14th decided that her pain wasn't her appendix, but man was he wrong and caused a lot of extra pain. The OBGYN that we hooked up with was great and the surgeon who cleaned up all of the mess has been highly recommended to us by former patients and friends who are doctors or medical people. Marcy is now resting much more comfortably, she says she is in a lot less pain than when she came in, but still has a long road of recovery. She will be in the hospital for another week because of the whole bowel thing, but at least she is on the road to recovery. Keep praying for her! I'm sure I will write again about the total outpouring of support, prayer and love that we have received, but right now my allergies are kicking up, so I better wait until I have a little more time under my belt and they won't be so touchy.(I hope everyone knows what I'm talking about when I say "my allergies," otherwise you just think I'm an idiot)(no comment on that is necessary)

Now, I'd like to offer a few suggestions and compliments to the medical community for the next hospital they build or service they offer.
Suggestions:
1. Try to put more than 1/2 inch of insulation in between rooms or don't allow the TV's to go to a 4000 decibel level. The guy in the room next to us had his TV so loud that I could hear his better than ours. If we were watching the same thing as him it wouldn't have been a big deal, but we weren't. I asked the nurse if the guy was deaf, but she didn't answer so maybe it's one of those medical questions you can't share. Of course I was being a smart ass, but it was a valid question as well.
2. Either carpet the rooms, which is probably a horrible idea due to cleaning issues, or put some sort of pad on the bottom of the legs of chairs so when the people in the room above you decide to push a chair around their room for an hour, you don't have to listen to the scream of wood on tile. I don't know what the hell they were doing, but damn that is annoying.
3. Turn down the water pressure in the toilets. Unless you shit an actual brick, the pressure is way harder than necessary. You certainly don't want to be sitting on the toilet when you flush it, it will pull out your colon or worse. You don't want to stand right next to it either or you will now be covered in toilet water, that can't be sanitary.
4. This is more of a complaint, but man it sucks when they wake you up every hour. How do they expect the patient to rest if you keep waking them up to ask them questions and then they tell you to get some rest. Well, damn, we were resting. And whisper so I can sleep. I'm on a pullout, so my sleep is not sound, so oil the wheels of your little blood pressure cart, don't use my bed to pull yourself up from whatever you were doing on the floor and whisper, its 3am for God's sake.

Compliments:
1. Valet parking at the surgery center for you 6am arrival in the cold, brilliant, and a great customer service.
2. You know those vibrating things they give you when you are waiting for a table at a restaurant? Now they give you one at the surgery center and buzz you whenever they need you to return to the desk for info or Dr. consultations, awesome. Then, you can go to any of the waiting rooms or even the cafeteria and they can still reach you.
3. In these waiting rooms, they have a lady that walks back to the recovery rooms and checks on your loved one and then comes out and updates you. Marcy was in recovery for 6 hours, so this lady was the only connection I had to Marcy. Loved her, her name was Pat and she reminded me of my grandma Bell.
4. The recovery nurses sent Marcy a plant and thanked her for her patience while they tried to get her a room. The hospital is full, so they had to wait for a room to open up. When Pat came to tell me what our room number was, I asked her if it was a double or a single. She said it was a single, so I asked her what I owed her. The room is twice the size of the last one and it has a pull out twin bed, which is totally uncomfortable but beats the hell out of a fricking folding chair or recliner that un-reclines on its own. It was very upsetting to go to sleep reclined and wake up completely upright, over and over again. It made me feel like I was back in my drinking days and would wake up and not be sure where I was, don't really want to go back to that.
5. Free Coke! I'll drink enough to offset the bill they will send us. This is a battle they don't want to be involved in, I will win.

Seeing as how we will be here for a week, I'm sure I will have more suggestions/complaints/compliments, you know how I am.

No comments: