Welcome

"We all die in the end, but there's no reason to die in the middle."

playwright David Mamet

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My better half

With all of the time Marcy has spent in the hospital, I've played Mr. Mom way more than I ever want to again. If you want to gain an appreciation for what your wife (or husband) does, have them leave for a few weeks. I don't think one week does it, because Marcy has been gone for several days, or even a week a few kids back, and I can usually adjust to that. No, let them be gone for several weeks, in my case going on four, and try to get everything done. I'm proud of myself for getting them fed, off to school, dressed, bathed and homework done, but I'm exhausted. I'm lucky that my work has been awesome, allowing me to do what I needed to do for my family and work from home this week so I could take care of Max when he isn't in school. My co-workers have also backed me up and been incredibly supportive, and for that I'm grateful. Now I know what Marcy goes through when I'm gone on my mission trips. I'm sure she isn't looking forward to my trip to Africa, seeing as how that is almost 2 weeks. As you can see by the count down, we are getting close to my trip and I'm feeling the same excitement/nervousness I do with all of my missions. I'm looking forward to her being home, for companionship at the beginning since she won't be able to do much, but I'll be happy to just have her home.

An update. Today she was able to eat food for the first time in nearly a week. Today's menu was yogurt for breakfast and a lovely chicken noodle puree for lunch. I looked at the menu she was allowed to eat and asked if they would let her get the chocolate shake for all of her meals, plus snacks? If so, I'm in, although I'm guessing they would bill my insurance company $200 each. They took some of her staples out and then opened up her diet even more for supper. Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes and gravy was on the menu for this evening, which sounded pretty good to me. If things progress as they are, it looks like Friday may be the day she gets to come home. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know when it happens.

No comments: